Thursday, December 17, 2009

Getty and Wire Image





About three and a half months ago I veered a bit form my path as a photographer. I have added an notable company ,Getty/Wire Image to my resume. While keeping up with the fashion and portraiture end of the business, I found shooting for this worldwide Giant quite rewarding. Among the many new challenges I face, is the style of shooting. I have now a clearer idea of what photojournalists as well as combat photogs might have to go through to get that Picture. While I am not equating my job to a combat photographer , I do feel a kinship with all photojournalists . I think that there are some parallels that can be drawn among the many, as I am beginning to discover, fields in photojournalism. Being quick on your feet, a sharp mind, dexterity and the ability to manage different lighting situations in a "New York Minute" is essential to completing the assignment. But what I found most interesting, is that by and large there exists, amidst a stiff competetive spirit, a professional courtesy among the members of this community. I am amazed at how courteous some photogs are to each other in the midst of a shooting frenzy while photographing a "very salable" movie star or a personality. Imagine for a minute that you and several shooters are standing side by side trying to get the attention of your subject who often is disconcerted by the lights and the atmosphere , and still come away with a good picture. Challenging , yes, but not impossible.

This is just a small fraction of things that take place in the life of a photojournalist , and there are many more if you look carefully at the images in this post . Too many to mention for now, but maybe something to think about for the future.

Above are just some of the personalities I have photographed . They are, as if you didn't already know, form the top.

Mickey Rourke, Veronica Webb, Chuck Zito, Isabella Rossellini, and John Caudia, the Phantom of the Opera.

No comments: